Monday, November 10, 2008

Obamabration!

On November 4th, I (Josh) happened to be teaching a movement in American art called "The Harlem Renaissance." It's a movement that took place in the 1920s and 30s, and at its best, The Harlem Renaissance was a celebration of African American identity -- an attempt to elevate African Americans to their rightful place in American society. (Any curious eggheads out there can read a bit more about the Harlem Renaissance here.)

The works produced by the artists of this movement are transcendent. They not only examine the injustice of slavery and prejudice, but they also offer a promise of triumph -- a message of endurance and strength.

For example, while teaching this movement, I read my class this poem, "I, Too" by Langston Hughes:

I, too sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

Less than 10 hours later, after I had cast my vote for him, I watched as Barack Obama uttered these words:

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

You may or may not like Obama's politics, but as I listened to our President Elect deliver his victory speech, I couldn't help being moved by what our country had overcome in so few years. Hughes, if he were alive today, would certainly weep for joy.

Obama may prove a brilliant president. He may stumble and find the challenges he faces too great to overcome, but I'll always remember this:

On November 4th, 2008, I read a prophecy by Langston Hughes. Less than 10 hours later, I watched that prophecy unfold. Art and life aligned, perfectly and beautifully.

God bless America.

2 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I got all teary-eyed during his speech and reading commentary afterwards, and I voted for the other guy!

Wondered how you guys were faring up in conservativeland . . .

Mike West said...

Unfortunately there has been some troubleing responses from the black community in several areas. At Jessie's school a white girl made a non-racial joke about Obama and was jumped by a black girl. When asked why she did it she responded "We in charge now." Other incidents pop up here and then in the news. One news report said that Obama's election ended 400 years of slavery. Though I am not an Obama fan, I am glad to see that an African American has been elected president. Now one of the challenges that society will face is for the African-American community to accept equality that was long ago granted by law with graciousness and a forgiving heart. I fear that this may prove to be problematic for some.