Sunday, August 3, 2008

A No-Fail Trivia Game Idea

Recently, Carter made up a very sly game to play with his younger brother. It reminded me so much of two of my younger brothers that I just had to share it. I know my family will appreciate it.

Here is the conversation I overheard:

Carter: Hey Taylor, you wanna play a trivia game?
Taylor: Yeah. But I don't know what a trivia game is.
Carter: It's easy. You think of a hard question to ask me, and I'll see if I can answer it.
Taylor: OK.

Taylor proceeds to ask Carter a question. Carter (of course) answers it correctly.

Carter: OK, now you need to give me a prize because I answered it right.
Taylor: Like what?
Carter: You can let me pick one of your toys.
Taylor: Which one?
Carter: {can't overhear this part, because they have moved to the room}
Taylor: OK. But will you share it with me?

---CUT--

This is where I step in and tell Carter that the game is unfair and that he can't have one of Taylor's toys. Carter, of course, tells me that Taylor really WANTS to give him one of his toys. Taylor, to be either a peacemaker or a nice little brother agrees with him. I still don't allow it.

Great game idea, huh? Too bad it only works when a grownup isn't listening in. I'm sure Carter will be much more careful about that next time around. Kind of makes me wonder what other types of "fun games" Carter has been teaching Taylor.

Taylor really is such a sweet kid. The other night, Mallory was crying in her room (the old "Please don't make me go to sleep!" trick). She first started yelling "I need my Mommy", then "I need my Daddy". When she realized that Mom and Dad weren't going to help her, the next plea was "I need my Taylor!" Taylor is the kind-hearted one that probably would take pity and rescue her. We just hope that kind little heart doesn't leave him too vulnerable.

I guess my brothers turned out just fine.

-Suzy

3 comments:

Diane said...

Suzy,

That is so Dave and Jim!!! Man, how the genes pass through - I can't believe how funny. I guess that happens when you get a smart/fast thinking sibling vs. a kind hearted easier going sibling...

Cameron calls for Rachael when Ryan and I won't help him too... Sadly enough, it works for him. Rachael gives him all the comfort he wants!

I am so glad your kids are normal!!! (gives me one less thing to feel guilty about.)

Diane

Esther said...

That's funny, I've heard those similar stories about Dave and Jimmy.
I think it's really cute Mallory calls for her Taylor too!

Patti said...

Of course that brings me memories.
Only I didn't stop Dave from taking advantage of Jimmy very much. Poor Jimmy.
It is amazing they love each other so much!

Great blog Suzy!
I even liked hearing about Mallory!
Soon I will be an eye-witness to these events!!

Love.
mom