Sunday, April 12, 2009

No More Growing Up

I was once told by someone that I should hug my kids a lot because someday they wouldn't want to hug me anymore. I guess I was in denial that it would ever happen to me. Or maybe the time of rejection is something you can never be ready for. On Friday I experienced my first sad moment and it totally shook my world.
In a moment of frustration or maybe grouchiness, my sweet and not-so-little-anymore Carter pushed me away when I went to give him a hug. I have to say that it sent me into nearly the saddest hour of my life. I started thinking about my wonderful little boy growing up and started worrying that the days of hugging him were over. It came so quickly, and I am not ready for it.
To my relief, Carter approached me a couple hours later and told me he was disappointed about something. When asked what he was disappointed about, he told me he was sad that he pushed me away when I tried to hug him. I suddenly felt like a baby because the floodgate of tears let loose as I realized that maybe I can still have another year or so to hug my boy. Poor Carter just stood there confused. I tried to explain to him that I didn't want to stop hugging him yet -- someday he won't want to hug me, and I didn't want that day to come yet.
Anyway, I guess I have had my little wake-up call. I gotta squeeze in all the hugs I can for the next "however long I get." I love you Carter!


4 comments:

Esther said...

Oh, I feel for you Suzy! Kids grow too fast. Even though Zeke is only two time is flying by. I was almost in tears reading about how sad you were, and seeing those sweet pictures of tiny Carter. I'm glad he realized it hurt your feelings. That's sweet he said he was disappointed about it.

Kelly said...

They grow way too fast. I know how you feel. Sometimes tears start flowing just thinking about my kids growing up. Our kids are still so little, yet time is flying and they are growing too fast!!

Diane said...

Hey, they should ALWAYS hug you! Or, at least I make sure I always hug them. They may not want it, but that is something I get to do as a Mom. Don't ever stop!!! :)

Suzy said...

I guess I may not have explained myself as well as I liked. I do always plan to give and receive hugs from my kids, but there is a difference between a hug that is given because it is EXPECTED and a hug given without any force or obligation (which is what tiny children are so good at).

The thing I'm going to miss is the type of hug where the kid is really willing and happy to be hugged and cuddled. Yeah- they'll hug me as a teenager, but it won't mean or feel the same. (It's more of an obligatory hug - I know - I was a teenager once.)